Summer School “Religious Pluralisation and Migration”
The summer school under the heading of "Religious Pluralisation and Migration" was held at Ruhr-Universität Bochum from 26 to 31 July 2010. 21 doctoral candidates from various European countries came together. The summer school was organised jointly by the Social Science Faculty in Bochum and the Centre for Religious Studies (CERES). The participants looked at the political and social contexts of religious pluralism in lectures and workshops. The five-day event comprised various different modules. Participants could choose from six workshops on the methods and theories in migration research. They also had an opportunity to present their research work to internationally renowned scientists and young scientists from various countries and disciplines, with subsequent discussions. Lectures given by experts including Robert C. Smith (New York), Matthias König (Göttingen) and Detlef Pollack (excellence cluster Religion and Politics, Münster) offered participants an insight into the current status of research into migration and religious pluralism.
The topics of the individual workshops and lectures were as follows:
- Prof. Dr. Matthias König (Georg-August University Göttingen)" International Migration and the Governance of Religious Diversity",
- Prof. Dr. Detlef Pollack (Excellence cluster Religion and Politics, Münster) "Reactions to Religious Pluralisation in Europe",
- Dr. Robert C. Smith (City University of New York) "Religious / migrants' organizations and community building",
- Prof. Dr. Frank Neubert (University of Bern) "Interpretation Methods: Discourse Analysis",
- Jun.-Prof. Ingo Rohlfing (University of Cologne) "Interpretation Methods: Case Study Design & Qualitative Comparative Analysis",
- PD Dr. Heidrun Friese (Ruhr-Universität Bochum)" Ethnographic methods and interviewing techniques",
- Prof. Dr. Flemming Christiansen (University of Leeds) "Ethnographic methods and interviewing techniques",
- Dr. Markus Hero (Ruhr-Universität Bochum) "Religious diversity and its impacts - A country comparative perspective",
- Prof. Dr. Ludger Pries & Jun.-Prof. Dr. Alexander-K. Nagel (Ruhr-Universität Bochum) "Transnational spaces & religious networking",
- Prof. Dr. Anja Weiß (University of Duisburg Essen) "Ethnographic methods and interviewing techniques".